Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you name your baby if you are not married ?

Should I give my baby my last name, my fiancee's last name or both? What if we end up not getting married?How do you name your baby if you are not married ?
If your fiance agrees to recognize the baby as his, the baby gets his name.


If it isn`t the case, the baby should get yours.How do you name your baby if you are not married ?
My folks weren't married when they had me so I was given my mothers last name. They got married when I was 7 months old.Then they had to go through the legal paper work of changing my name to their last name.Even though they are both my parents and both their names are on my birth certificate they both had to legally adopt me. So just changing the babies name after you have it sometimes isn't that easy. This is something that you and your fiancee need to discuss and decide what you want to do. Good Luck and I hope you come up with a decision before the baby is born.
Thats a personal choice. I personally think that kids should have their dad's last name but I am kind of old fashioned. My niece has her moms name because dad refused to fess up to her and never even saw her. Talk to your fiancee and the two of you decide. There is no right or wrong answer
If it is his baby I would give the baby his name especially if you are to marry!
Does the name matter more to you, or to him, or equally? If you have those around that you value their judgement, what do they say? Is it 'my' baby or 'our' baby? If you are engaged to be married, I think you should heavily consider giving the baby his name (assuming you've been together for at least 1 year before getting engaged). If he is truly serious about raising a child, giving the child your name may be a severe blow to the relationship. I'd look for some online resources, like this article: http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/babyna鈥?/a>
I have 2 little boys. I am not married to their father and have no plans to get married to him. The boys have his last name. I did it that way so if something happens to us, he will still be responsible for support. He signed an acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital that states he is acknowledging that he is their father, without a paternity test. That will hold up in court if it ever got to that point to file for support. Do what you think is right, of course.
If he signs the birth certificate then give the baby the daddy's last name.





I would probably go with the dads last name either way. I had my moms last name when I was growing up b/c my parents weren't married. And I hated it. I felt that my dad didn't love me enough to give me his name.
Traditionally the baby should get the fathers name.Putting your last name is almost sperating the connection of ';carrying the family's name';. If he's a good guy who's taking care of you and your baby,even if you aren't married,then go for it.And if for some sad reason you and your fiancee dont work out,then the baby will need some sort of support,(child support) and if there is no bad blood towards the father to take care of this child the namesake is the key to getting the support you will need. My husband and I married 9 years later of being in a relationship together.We now have five kids together,3 between me and him,two from his previous marrige who are permanently living with us now for almost 6 years.And even us being unmarried I still gave my children my husbands last name,and only his. Life throws alot of curve balls at you,if your not rushing marrige because of your uncertainty of this relationship,then tell the guy what your thinking and come up with a solution,if he's not mister right and is mean, jealous, controlling, and just awful,giving you a glimpse of things to come then realease yourself,and take care of your child and yourself the best you can.
If he's going to marry you then why wait? Problem solved.
Name it after the father good thing is that you can change it
That's tough.





I know of people who used their boyfriend's last name and didn't end up staying w/ the guy.





Since you said ';fiancee';, I would feel confident w/ giving the baby his last name. You guys are serious about getting married, right??





Also, I'm assuming that the fiancee is the baby's father-- right??
You have to decide if your ';man'; will be there when the day comes to say ';I DO';. If you are not sure you obviously should not have ';chose'; him to be the father of your child.





If you do not think he will marry you, go ahead and give the child your last name. Just be prepared for your ';man'; to use this as an excuse to leave you.
You can always change the name latter. I did it with my first name, and women usually do it when they get married. Go with what makes sense to you and you are comfortable with. Talk it over with your fiancee and go with what's agreed upon
I'd name the baby with what ever your most comfortable with. You can always change it. If you would rather your baby your last name just in case you don't get married then go for that, if you do wind up getting married it's not that hard to change it. One of my friends moms did the same thing, she and her husband weren't sure if they were going to work things out, he has his moms maiden name but is changing it to his dad's and all it takes is a little paper work. There's not wrong answer to this. If you want him to have his dads last name even if you guys don't get married then go for it. Do what ever you feel is right for you guys, ask the opinion of your fiance. If you'd rather your baby have your last name (just in case you don't get married) then tell your fiance that when you get married that's when you'll change both you and your childs last name to his.
Give it your name then change it when you get married.
give the baby his father's last name. That is only fair I think. Whether you end up getting married or not...well you should have thought about that before having sex.





I think you need to reevaluate your relationship. How can you say ';my fiancee'; and then in the next sentence suggest you might not get married?
Well is it your fiancee's child? If so you should probably just give your baby your fiancee's last name.
i am young but u should give it your last name because if yall dont get married he can try to take the baby that is wat happen to my sister
In most states you can change your baby's name for free any time within the first year, so if you are planning the wedding within the first year, then that could help your decision. Either way, though it doesn't much matter. Even if you were married for years and the baby had your last name you could change it at any time - it'll just eventually cost money. It might be easiest to do a hyphenated name for now and then you can always decide to drop or the other names. Good luck and God bless!
I would give him your fiancee's last name. It's only right.
It's a matter of personal choice, I'd be inclined to give it both.
Trust me on this....save yourself alot of headache and give him your name. Tell your fiance you are going to do that. If he doesn't want to marry you before then so that baby will have his name, he's not going to marry you later.
Your last name.
Its a tough decision, but generally it is left up to the mother..


I was not married when my child was born, but I gave the baby the fathers name..


I also lived with the father and he would not have it any other way..so there are alot of factors to think about in making the decision...


We married when our baby turned 2,and are still together happily..





Remember , you could also use both names, hyphenated
The decision is up to you, but if it were me, I would give the baby my last name if I thought there was even the slightest chance that things could go awry with the wedding. When they call you from school to let you know your child is ill do you want them to call you by your last name or the last name that wasn't meant to be. Plus, the baby will have your last name and there will be no confusion there,
I have answered this question so many times on here I could write a good sized book about it. Let me please tell you to please please please give the baby YOUR last name! PLEASE! NOT giving my daughter who is now 13 MY LAST NAME has caused so many problems throughout her life. LONG STORY. Please let the baby have YOUR last name and change it when you marry her Dad. If you end up NOT getting married, no one is going to look at a school registration paper, any government document, anything and see the relation between you are your child. I'm married now and still, my daughter's friends call me by my daughter's father's last name and even have called MY HUSBAND the same. SOOOO AGGRAVATING!!! That's not our name and although her father never steps up to bat my daughter thinks the world of him (ok, that's fine) and won't change her name - - I gave her a choice. So, please. Give your child your name. Peace and God Bless You and Congratulations on your baby - - may it be healthy and happy.





p.s. the answer below is wrong - you do not need the same last name to collect child support - there is no legal choice to be made on your part - only preference - that and my BEGGING!!!


;-D
Talk about it with your fiancee and decide what you and he think is best.
If i were you, i would give him the fathers last name. IF he is a good father, and plans on being there for his child. Theres no reason not too. Even if you guys dont end up together and you want to get child support, the child will have his last name. Thats the only way to get child support as far as i know of. The father has to sign paternity stating that he has no doubt the child is his. So if he is a good person and you are planning on getting married someday, even if it doesnt happen. Keep him in his childs life.
Your last name %26amp; if you guys get married, change babies last name to his. Brad Pitt %26amp; Anjolina Jolie did it before they got married, so it's really up to you both! I hope you and baby are doing well!
really do what you want because either way you can get it changed..if you guys are together and happy i would give the baby his though..that way the birth cert. will be his dads name.
I was in your shoes 7yrs ago. My daughter was born and her father and I were engaged so I didn't see any harm in giving my daughter his last name instead of mine. While in the hospital she stayed under my name for security reasons but her birth certificate has his last name on it. About 6 months after she was both we seperated and never ended up getting married. He still sees her but I do regret giving her his last name now. My suggestions would be to give the baby your last name until you do get married. When you go to change your name you can change the babies at the same time. I hope this helps.


Good luck!
  • cosmetics products
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment